Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chicken Tetrazzini

This meal is a little time consuming so I don't make it very often. My husband likes it so I try to make it every once in a while for him. I usually start this meal an hour before I plan to serve it. I also try to cook the chicken in advance if I can.

8 ounces spaghetti or linguine
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk, half-and-half, or light cream
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
2 Tbsp dry sherry (I use red cooking wine)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley (optional)

Cook spaghetti or linguine according to package directions; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook mushrooms and green onions in hot butter till tender. Stir in flour, pepper, and nutmeg. Add chicken broth and milk all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken or turkey, sherry, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Add cooked spaghetti or linguine; toss to coat.
Transfer chicken mixture to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and almonds.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Serves 6.

1 comments:

Bonny said...

Yum!!! This looks delicious.