Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Potato Cheese Soup

I have always loved Marie Calendar's potato soup. I think this recipe is very similar to theirs. This is my favorite soup. I always sprinkle cheese on top of the soup and serve it with cornbread. I think this soup would be good served in bread bowls too. My kids are very picky and they both like this soup.

8 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
6 stalks of celery, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups water
1 cup cream
2 cups milk
6 Tbsp. butter
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Place potatoes, onion, celery, and salt in the 4 cups of water in a large pot. Cook on medium heat about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain water. Return vegetables to pot and add cream, milk, butter and cheese. Simmer on medium heat until hot. Do not boil.

0 comments: