Friday, January 23, 2009

Oatmeal Carmelitas

This is one of Pillsbury's most requested recipes ever. Try them and you will see why. They are so chewy and addictive. My husband isn't into sweets as much as I am but he loves these.

For the Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened

For the Filling:

1 (12.5 oz) jar caramel ice cream topping
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I usually add a little more)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 13X9-inch pan. In a large bowl, blend all crust ingredients on low speed until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture, about 3 cups, in bottom of greased pan. Reserve the remaining crumb mixture for the topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine caramel topping and 3 Tbsp. of flour. Remove partially baked crust from the oven; sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake an additional 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Refrigerate 1-2 hours until filling is set. Cut into bars. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Rainy Day Farm said...

I love this recipe. These are once a year kind of treats because they are soooooo rich. We call them carmel bars, but my friend calls them devil bars because she wakes up with a headache after eating them. Thanks for sharing. I love both your sites. So much inspiration!

Aubrey said...

I love these! Probably too much!! I can not make these unless I have friends around to help eat them :) Thanks for the fantastic recipe!