Saturday, February 16, 2008

Aunt Sue's amazing sugar cookies!


This is my aunt Sue's recipe. I have tried several different sugar cookie recipes and always come back to this one. They are very soft and kind of cake like. The nutmeg also adds flavor and goes well with the buttercream frosting. Enjoy!!

1 cup margarine or butter, softened (I use unsalted butter)
1 3/4 cup sugar

Mix together for 3-4 minutes.

Add:

3 beaten eggs

Mix in.

Add:
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix in.

Add the following combined ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
3 tsp. baking powder

More flour can be added in but the dough should be sticky. Flour WELL to roll out. (I usually pour about 1 cup of flour into a mound and slowly work it into the dough until the dough will roll out without sticking to the surface. Roll and cut out the desired shapes and bake at 350 till light brown on the bottom. Frost with buttercream frosting. (recipe below)

Buttercream Frosting

3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
3-4 Tbsp. milk (I usually have to add a little more to get to a good spreading consistency)
1/2. tsp. vanilla extract (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract and no almond extract)
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a mixer at low speed. Then beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes more until creamy.

You can also use this recipe to fill and frost a 2 layer cake or 24 cupcakes.

1 comments:

Melinda Ford said...

You have a great website! Thanks for posting your recipes. I especially like how you have on the side a link to get to each category of recipes you have on here. Can I ask how you did that? I'm trying to find a way to put my different crafts and cake decorated items so that it lists them like you have. I would appreciate your info!!!

Thanks - Melinda